My Favourite Poem
When I was little, I had this "poem" hung up on my wall. It was gold-plated, on a wooden frame, and the words and illustrations was engraved in black on the gold. There was a drawing of a little girl on her knees, praying:
Now I lay me down to sleep,
I ask the Lord my soul to keep.
When I was a little older, someone showed me the second part to the verse:
Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take.
One birthday, I received a little pink framed poem, called "Prayer for a Little Girl" by Judith Dekker. This little baby pink poem with a colourful drawing of a little girl holding flowers hung on the walls of all my bedrooms in university:
Now I lay me down to sleep.
I ask You, Lord, Your watch to keep.
Protect and shield me, safe from harm;
Yes, cradle me, Lord in Your Arms.
Forgive my sins, and help me too
To be somebody more like You --
Forgiving others patiently
And loving them as You love me.
And when I open up my eyes
Tomorrow, help me realize
There's beauty everywhere to see:
I hope you see some, Lord, in me.
Today I read a verse in the Bible, Psalm 4:8, "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety."
How that great King had the most desired child-like faith. Oh how I want to be the same.
----
References:
18th Century Child's Bedtime Prayer
Children's Song Lyrics and Music
American Poetry Anthology

<< Home